Monday, July 21, 2014

Back to the drawing board

When I was 11 years old, I started drawing. First still life around the house; lamps, cups, tables etc. Later I would copy pictures done by famous artists from encyclopedias. Drawing and sketching filled a lot of wait time. And I believe it was constructive use of my time.  In my teen years I began drawing figures, then faces. I took a life drawing class in art school with a live nude model, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I have piles of pages of sketches of famous faces...usually good practice because their well known faces are recognized and that recognition serves to encourage you in your endeavors. I hadn't done any drawings for a while, but recently got back to it with this non famous face, a friend of mine, from a photo. It turned out well and has reminded me of how much I like pushing that pencil around on paper. "I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing" Vincent van Gogh...I have to agree

2 comments:

MariaV said...

Nice picture of Rick, very recognizable!

Julie Diveley Townsend said...

So glad to see you both drawing and blogging! Both are good for the soul!